Sunday, December 18, 2016

La Revedere (Goodbye)

   
     What a week. I have been thinking a lot about what I want to put into this final blog post about Romania because I have so much to say. First of all, I still cannot believe that I just lived in Romania for four months. It is surreal for me to look back on all of my pictures and think, "That is me? I was there?" This has been an experience of a lifetime and it went above and beyond all of my expectations. However, I fear that upon returning home it will seem as though I never left. I have learned so much on this trip but I am afraid of quickly losing sight of what I have learned once I get back into my normal pattern of daily life. My kids here touched my heart more than I could have ever hoped and I want to keep them in my heart forever. So here is my plan on how to remember my kids and everything they taught me for the rest of my life.
     1. I will never stop talking about them. I am sorry if you have the misfortune of coming into contact with me for the next few weeks or even months because I can promise you that I will find a way to bring up my kids and talk about them. How can I not? After all, they are my kids! I am one proud mama of them and like any prideful mom I want to share how incredible they are. I am sure that I will have countless reminders of each and every one of them every day. Whether it's when I drink water from a cup and think about how many times I drank imaginary water from a cup with my boys. Or when I hear the song "You are my Sunshine" which is the song I sang to my kids everyday when I fed them from a bottle. Or even when I see anything related to Disney because it will make me think of Bambi which is the name of my room in the orphanage. There will be reminders of my kids everywhere and I can't wait to share all of my stories about my kids with you.
     2. I will continue to serve those around me. Every day, I went into the orphanage expecting the opportunity to serve my kids and the workers at the orphanage in whatever ways I could. However, they did more service for me than I probably did for them! They always made sure that we had food to eat while the kids were at snack, they always made sure we were comfortable in the room and never overwhelmed with the kids. They made an effort to get to know us and wanted to know the small details about our lives back at home. I always left the orphanage with a full heart and so thankful for the love I was shown. This taught me to always show love towards and serve anyone who comes into my life. It is not always convenient and you don't always shave an obligation to do so. I was in the orphanage to love and serve and I was shown more love and service than any other time in my life. The joy of seeing that makes me have a greater desire to do the same for those around me.
     3. Never take anything for granted. If you have been following my blog posts then I'm sure you remember the many hardships I have had to deal with while living in a foreign country. For example, broken toilets, leaking pipes, a very large language barrier, several illnesses. I have taken my home, my education, my family, and my country for granted for my entire life. I hope that upon returning home I can be more thankful for the things I have and for the people in my life. I love my family and I don't know where I would be without them. Their love and support have allowed me to have come on this journey and I will forever be thankful to them for that. It is the greatest gift that they have given me.
     There is one last thing I would like to talk about before saying goodbye and beginning my journey home. The day I said goodbye to my kids. It was a day that the girls and I have been talking about since the beginning. We knew that it would be hard and that there would be many emotions but I don't think any of us were prepared. It was the hardest thing I have ever gone through. The entire day I managed to hold it together while thinking, "this is the last time I will do this." About ten minutes before it was time to say goodbye I started to lose it. We took the kids into the kitchen for lunch as usual and began the goodbye process. I told each child that I loved them, gave them each a bunch of kisses and big hug which they all gladly accepted. Most of them also gave me a kiss on the cheek then went back to focusing on their food. And that was it. To them it was just another day. They would see us on Monday and everything would resume as normal. I thought that might make it easier because they wouldn't be sad. But I think it made it harder for me because they didn't know that this was the end. I would never return to play with them. I also went and said goodbye to all of the kids sleeping in their cribs which was a special but sad moment. The tears eventually came (which for any of you who know me knows that that is a rare occurrence), and me and the other girls walked through the orphanage doors for the last time.
     This experience has changed my life. It has made me have a bigger desire to serve, a greater understanding of the love I receive from my parents and my Father in Heaven, a larger appreciation for cultures other than my own, and a deeper gratitude for the life I was given. It has made me more confident, more loving, more kind, and more willing to stand up for what I believe in. I am beyond grateful that I was able to learn so much with this experience and I can't wait to see where in life it will take me. Thank you for all of your love and support and following me on this extraordinary adventure. I can't wait to see you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment