Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Thankful for Smiles

With Thanksgiving being this week I made a larger effort to think about what I am most thankful for. In many years past I have stated that I am thankful for my wonderful family, friends, a roof over my head, food on my table, opportunity for a good education, and many other things I have been blessed with in this life. However, this year my eyes have been opened to a completely new world and perspective that exists and I am most thankful for something a bit more obscure. This thanksgiving, I am most thankful for smiles.
Living in Romania has given me so many opportunities to learn lessons that would have otherwise taken me years to learn. I have learned to laugh through the seemingly tragic yet trivial trials, see the good in the worst situations, stand up tall and firm for what I believe in most, continuously be sympathetic and kind towards everyone no matter any circumstances, and to appreciate the little things in life the most. I have learned that I was given more blessings in my life than one needs to be happy and therefore I have no reason to resent or complain about those blessings. I have learned not to envy others or wish my life was like someone else's because if my life was any different than it is now, it would not be my life. And my life has been pretty incredible because it has led me to meet my beautiful kids who have touched my heart in a million different ways. Besides the many different things my kids teach me each and every day about life, or the endless amounts of hugs and kisses I receive, there is one thing that they give me that I value the most: their smiles.
Some may think that being thankful for smiles is silly. A smile is a reflex. A person smiles hundreds or even a thousand times in a single day without even having to think about it. I never gave any thought to smiles before coming to Romania. To me, a smile was a simple and easy way to let the world know you weren't in a bad mood. But then I came to Romania and discovered that a smile means so much more than that. Sometimes, a smile is all I have to hang on to in a dark and heartbreaking day full of unfortunate circumstances.
None of my kids speak English and only a few can even speak Romanian. Some are blind or deaf, some can't speak at all, some can't move their arms, their legs, or any part of their body. However, the one thing that every single one of my kids can do is smile. Other than crying, it is the only way they have to communicate their mood. When I see them and think about how they got to this point in their life with no family and an unknown knowledge of their future, I have an unyielding desire to help them. I don't know what a twenty year old girl like me from Portland Oregon can do to change the lives of these precious kids, so I do what I know how to do. I love them. I tickle their tummies, I hold their hands, I sing them songs, I tell them stories, I pretend to drink "apa" from a tiny toy cup. And a smile is all that they can give me in return. Yet I would do just about anything for these kids just to see them smile.
A smile from my kids is not just a reflex. It is not just a way for them to let me know that they aren't unhappy. To me, their smiles are a confirmation. It means that even if just for a brief second, the heavy burden they are bearing is lifted from their shoulders. It means that in that moment, their situation in life doesn't matter. It means that for right now, they are free to be happy. When I see their smiles it means that even if it is just for today, their life was made a little brighter and a little less scary. Their smiles teach me to take whatever difficult thing life gives me and somehow find the joy.
 Although many of my kids are unaware of their situation, I believe that they know more than we think. They are taught to call us mama yet we as volunteers continue to abandon them every few months. They each have a bed and plenty of toys to play with, and clean clothes to wear, but do they have anything of their own? Everything I have grown up being thankful for in my life exists in their life as well but it is not theirs to keep. The one unique thing they have to themselves that they can share with others is their smile. And they continue to share it with me every single day.
So now I ask you, what does a smile mean to you? Smiles can be found anywhere. You smile when you greet someone, when you pose for a picture, when you hear something funny, or when you remember a fond memory. But think of the last time you REALLY smiled. I'm talking about gums showing, dimples appearing, nose crinkling, and eye squinting, goofy smile. If it wasn't in the last twenty four hours, go find something to smile about right now. It can be spending time with a loved one, watching your favorite movie, or reading your favorite joke. The world needs more smiles. It is more than a reflex. More than a way to show you are not unhappy. A warm smile is the universal language of kindness. And I am so incredibly thankful for them.

Here are some pictures from my recent weekend trip to Bucharest:
This bookstore was so cool! It was huge and had winding staircases and so many books and games.
We got to go see an Opera at the Opera House in Bucharest! It was in Italian and so I had no idea what was going on 98% of the time but the music was beautiful and I loved it. We got to sit up in a box to ourselves which was cool too.
The Opera House was beautiful!
At the Botanical Gardens in Bucharest.
Found these super cool Romanian glasses. Still regretting not buying them...
This is the Parliament House. It is the heaviest building in the world, second largest administrative building, and third overall largest building in the world. It's huge!



No comments:

Post a Comment