Saturday, November 12, 2016

Lezioni Da Imparare (Lessons to Learn)

This past weekend I had the incredible opportunity to explore the beautiful country of Italy. We stayed in Bologna which is a small city with a large amount of beauty within it. We had a lot of fun exploring the city and trying out the different foods there. My favorites were the pasta and pizza. We also explored the cities of Venice and Florence. Venice was absolutely beautiful and one of my favorite places that I have seen here in Europe. We wandered through the streets doing some sight seeing and window shopping and taking endless amounts of pictures along the way. We also took a gondola ride through the canals that run throughout the city. Our guides name was Alvize and he was very cute. He told us all about the history of Venice and even sang to us in Italian for part of it. Florence was also beautiful and despite the rainy weather we enjoyed our time there. Italy is a place I look forward to traveling back to.







The people in Italy were especially welcoming and friendly. In fact, there was a 50 year old woman in our hostel with us and asked me to braid her hair one morning. After braiding it she tried to give me all of these gifts to take with me but none would fit in my backpack. I tried to explain that to her but she just gave me a bag to put them in. A few mornings later she came into our room at 6am and asked me to braid her hair again. I reluctantly got out of bed while she asked if I wanted her to make me hot tea or coffee. After braiding her hair I quickly headed back to bed before she could try and give me more gifts. I also helped out an older woman staying in our hostel in Greece and I have concluded that for some reason, foreign old ladies love me and want me to help them so they can give me gifts. This will hopefully come in handy as I do more traveling in the future.

Italy concluded our big vacations that we will go on and, although I loved seeing different parts of Europe, I am a bit relieved. Traveling as often as we were gets exhausting and I am excited to finally just focus on my orphanage kids! People have asked me if I am still working in the orphanage and the answer is a big yes! I have been working there for three hours everyday Monday through Friday as well as visiting orphans in apartments and the hospital. I am so sad that I can't take pictures to show you because they are seriously the cutest kids.
The outside of the orphanage. With all of the leaves changing colors and falling, Romania has gotten even more beautiful.
This past week I have been thinking a lot about the lessons that I have learned from my kids and this experience. There have been a lot of negativity going on lately especially on social media. Social media is the only way I have to connect to my friends and family is America and so it has been hard for me to stay positive here in Romania. However, I read a quote a few days ago by Thomas S. Monson that helped me focus on what is important and gain some perspective. The quote is, "We are blessed with so very much. And yet it is sometimes difficult to view the problems and permissiveness around us and not become discouraged. I have found that, rather than dwelling on the negative, if we will take a step back and consider the blessings in our lives, including seemingly small, sometimes overlooked blessings, we can find greater happiness." For the past three months I have been surrounded by a large number of seemingly small and sometimes overlooked blessings. Sometimes, especially at the beginning of my time here, I felt as though those were the only blessings I was receiving. However, these have been my favorite and some of the most important blessings that I have ever received. Here are some moments that I have experienced in the orphanage that are examples of those small but mighty blessings:

A few days ago I was sitting in my room at the orphanage with my friend Katie and one of the little boys that we take care of. This particular little boy is pretty disabled and is not able to communicate or walk. He spends his days sitting on a mattress on the floor and his favorite thing to do is listen to the different sounds that toys make or feel the different textures of the toys. We can entertain him for hours by shaking a toy that rattles or spinning wheels on toy cars. He is so funny because if we stop he will grab our hand and put it back on the toy so that we will continue. This is about as much interaction as we get out of him. On this specific day I was upset about a few different things that were unrelated to the orphanage and I was talking to Katie about everything going on while shaking a toy for him. As I kept talking I was slowly getting more upset and worked up about everything. All of a sudden, the little boy sat straight up and looked right at me. I stopped mid-sentence and Katie and I both were taken by surprise. Then, with no warning, he launched his small body towards me and threw his arms around my neck giving me the biggest hug that I have ever received. I was completely shocked, but quickly hugged him back. He pulled away to look me in the eyes again and then went back in for another hug. He did this for a solid 10 minutes until the workers and the other kids came back into the room. Then he focused his attention back on the toy in my hand and went on as if nothing had happened. I sat there stunned and with tears in my eyes. I could not believe that this one boy who had such limited abilities knew that I needed a hug at that moment. This small act of love meant more to me in that moment than anything else that anyone could have done. I will value that moment and the hugs I received from him more than any physical gift I could have been given. He has taught me that no matter your situation and circumstances, you should always be aware of others feelings and willing to offer up acts of service and love no matter how convenient.

There have been many other similar moments like that that have occurred in the orphanage. Whenever one of the boys walks into the room he runs towards me with his arms open wide so I can give him a big hug. The only problem is that he has very bad balance and often falls over a few times before reaching me. However, he never takes his eyes off of me or takes the smile off of his face and his falls never seem to phase him. This makes the moment he reaches me and can give me a huge hug so much sweeter. He has taught me that no matter how many times you fall, don't let those moments of weakness take away your determination or excitement for what you are striving to reach.

Another boy does not like sharing his toys with anyone. He is obsessed with toys that could potentially hold "apa" (water). He always has plastic cups and spoons to "mix" whatever he is creating. If any of the other kids try to take his toys and toy cups he throws a huge fit. However, whenever I go over to sit with him, he is more than eager to share his "apa" with me. I can sit and pretend to drink water from cups and bowls for hours with him. Him and I have built a relationships and he has made the decision to trust me with his most prized toys. This boy has taught me to fight for what I want but to share everything I have with those I love. Because that is when his smile is the biggest and his love felt the most.

Those are just a few examples of what I have learned in the orphanage. These kids are small and innocent and can't communicate with me in the way that many others can. They may seem like seemingly small and sometimes overlooked blessings that have been put into my life. However, these kids and the lessons they have taught me will substantially influence my life and have a lasting effect on the way I view and treat others. So although they may not have the opportunity to interact with many people outside of the orphanage, they have each changed my life and I hope that through me, they can change your lives as well. So this week I hope you all think less about the hardships and trials occurring in the world and instead focus on the seemingly small and overlooked blessings that you do have. I can promise you that it will bring you a greater happiness and joy for life. I see it everyday in the ten wonderful children I am blessed to care for.

No comments:

Post a Comment