Saturday, July 8, 2017

The Legacy of the Kissing Frog

   Let me introduce you to the Legacy of the Kissing Frog. The Kissing Frog has been passed down through my family for years. To my knowledge, it began with my oldest cousin when she went off to college. She had in her possession a stuffed green frog that is about the size of a basketball. It had big red puckered lips and when you squeeze its tummy it makes three loud distinct obnoxious kissing sounds. It was believed that this frog would give her luck in her love life and if she displayed the frog on her pillow each day, it would one day bring to her a handsome prince.
   Like any reasonable boy crazy girl, she diligently displayed that frog on her pillow and awaited for the promised prince to sweep her off of her feet. Eventually, he came. She married a great guy and they are living happily ever after. But the Kissing Frog lived on! Once married, my cousin passed the Kissing Frog onto her younger sister so that it could bring her good luck as well. She faithfully used the magic of the kissing frog and found a wonderful man who she married and is living happily ever after with. That ended the line of sisters in their immediate family and so they decided to pass on the frog to their dear younger cousin who was headed off to her first semester of college and ready to find her prince. Which is how I ended up with the Kissing Frog.


   By the time I had possession of the frog, it's big puckered lips had fallen off and there was a small hole in the left arm that had white cotton threatening to pop out at any second. However, they made sure I knew of the legacy and that I would place the frog on my bed every day until I met the man I was going to marry. I faithfully followed in my older cousins footsteps and waited until a man was brought forth. And I waited. And waited. And then waited just a little longer. Until I went off to Romania to explore the world. Then when I returned, I decided to keep the frog displayed on my bed because I hadn't lost all hope. And then I met my prince, Tyler Schow.
   Tyler proposed to me while we were on a trip to Las Vegas and when I returned home I remember walking into my room, looking at the frog sitting on my bed, and smiling. I walked over to it, sat on my bed, picked it up, and thought, "Thanks Kissing Frog, you've gone above and beyond for me. You've given me an extraordinary prince". And then I retired the Kissing Frog from my pillows and stored him in a safe place until I pass him along to another girl seeking a little magic.
   Tyler and I have been engaged for four months now. That's how long it has been since my last blog post as well. A lot has happened in four months. There have been finals, moving, vacations, visits from family, Tyler's sister leaving on her mission, my brother returning from his, and of course wedding planning. But the most important thing that has happened is that my love for Tyler has continued to grow every single day to a greater amount than I could ever have imagined. I didn't know what love was until I met Tyler. To me, Tyler is love. He is the epitome of all things good in my life. He is kind, and patient. Funny and charming. Thoughtful and genuine. He pushes me to be the best version of myself and yet I know that he will love me no matter what I am. I have always considered myself a fairly happy and optimistic person. But Tyler continues to make my days a little brighter, my load a little lighter, and my smile a little wider.
    In one week I will marry Tyler. I view that moment as both an end and a beginning. It is the end of a big part of my life. The end of independence and single hood. But I view it as an even bigger beginning. I will not only depend on Tyler but he will depend on me. I will no longer be single but as a pair, a partnership, a team. Many people have said that I will lose a lot of my freedom. I will no longer be able to travel whenever, wherever, or however I want. I wont be as motivated to strive towards greatness, or achieve many of my goals. However, I see it as having a huge support and partner beside me throughout all of those wonderful things. And I will achieve even more greatness. Because Tyler's success will be my success.
   I have already traveled the world. I have seen many amazing places and met some incredible people. But I truly believe that in seven days I will start my greatest adventure of all. And I will forever be thankful to the Legacy of the Kissing Frog for helping me get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment